Legal Name Change Process

Individuals who want to change their name for reasons other than marriage or divorce need to petition the court for a name change.

legal name change

There are many forms of legal name changes. Newlyweds may want to change their name to signify their union. Someone who has gotten divorced may want to change back to their maiden (or a former) name. Guardians may want to change their minor’s name due to adoption, divorce or marriage. This section will walk you through the legal name change process that does not involve marriage, divorce or minors.

Step 1 - Choose a Name

Step 2 - Petition the Court

Step 3 - Attend the Hearing

Step 4 - Inform Necessary Government Agencies and Businesses

Back to Top